Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Here it is nearly 11 pm in Ghana.  The kids are still up.  Abigail fell asleep, then woke up after a short "nap."  Colt has not fallen asleep yet so we had him get up, too.  We are hoping they will burn off a bit more energy and sleep better tonight. Colt actually slept well last night.  


Abigail, on the other hand, wondered why Mommy and Daddy were playing the "Let's lie down and pretend to go to sleep in a dark room even though my body knows it's really time to play and eat" game.  Once it got to be bedtime in Texas, she did eventually fall asleep.  

We picked up the truck today, then used it to shop a bit in Accra.  They have a new indoor mall that is pretty nice.  We enjoyed the a/c while shopping!  They have many things you can buy in America here in the capital city.  However, they do cost a lot, lot more.  So, overall we are pleased with the choices we made of items to ship here from the states. 

We bought a Toyota quad cab truck (narrow model, not wide).  It's also an African model, not the same choices you have in the states exactly.  Joel was hoping to leave the capital city for Nalerigu over the weekend. But the car dealership wants us to put 1000 km on the truck, then bring it back so they can check it. Hhhhhmmmm. I don't recall doing that in the states.  I'm sure the truck is fine, though.  They just like to be thorough here, right?  :)  So going to Nalerigu is too far (Joel tried to work that out with them).  We may do a few touristy things here.  

We purchased a high chair today.  (A must-have in our book.)  We had a great one given as a gift with Abigail that we had to leave at home as it was such a nice size and cost a lot to ship.  We also bought a few Christmas items (like stockings) as we didn't bring very much of that.  

Some of you have asked about the grocery store.  Colt and I ran into the grocery store at the mall while Joel and Abigail waited.  We bought spaghetti, sauce, hamburger meat, yogurt, cereal, cow's milk (the kind in a box, not the refrigerated kind as they don't have that here from what we know), one cucumber, one small, round watermelon, cereal, a small block of cheese, some tape...

It was very much a western store in all accounts except the prices (typically much higher) and some of the quality of products (can be lower).  Keep in mind this is 13 hours away from where we will be living.  We will not have any stores remotely like this where we will be living.  

There are many people selling their wares all over the streets here.  You have to clearly let them know you are not interested in buying if that is the case.  

We took the long way back to the guest house (on accident).  The roads are not marked well and there are not many places at all to get off the highways here.  We ended up getting back to the guest house with time to spare before dinner, though.  

I will eventually get to pictures.  I have to say I'm not quite as eager to post photos of me in my 24/7 sweaty condition, though!  

We are doing well.  It is great to have wi-fi at the guest house now.  Since it is not in our room (and therefore I'm not in our room and it is late) I guess I'll stop here.  

Almost-I have to say it's a bit strange being six hours away from you all.  We love the comments and emails so much.  But realizing most of you are six hours behind us in your day does leave us (I'll say me, don't know about anyone else) feeling disconnected.  We'll get used to it, I'm sure.  Love you all lots.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THanks for all the info Hollie. You are a great reporter! I love connecting with you all. Thanks for keeping us all informed about your every day lives right now. How we miss you! BUT this is a great tool God has given to us to keep up with each other. I LOVE YOU!Mary

Unknown said...

Wow! What an adventure. Don't envy the crazy sleep schedule!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Hollie. Grandmom was asking if I'd heard from you. I'll try to print your blogs or take my laptop with me and find an internet connection in Hville next week. Come to think of it, printing might be easier. I was thinking of you on your travel day on Sunday.

Your shopping stories are interesting. Now please take care.

Love you,
Aunt Dianne

Raley Family Blog said...

Hollie, I am so excited to read your 1st entry of your new life in Africa. I must say I sat here with tears in my eyes for two reasons 1) miss ya'll and it's hard to believe your already in Africa 2) I know it won't be long until I write our first blog of our first experiences in Africa. (only 7 months away). I can't wait to see pictures. Tell everyone hi from all of the Raley's.
Alicia

Deja said...

Hollie,
I'm praying for your heart in this transition time. Feeling disconnected from all that's familiar is normal. I'm eager to hear of your new lives and ministry. I'll actually post comments and not just lurk LOL.
Deja

Joel/ Hollie Dickens said...

Thanks for all of your comments. They make us feel loved! Keep them coming! Hollie

Luke, I miss you very much. Thank you for praying for me every night. How can I pray for you? Colt

Raley Family Blog said...

Colt, How is Africa? Hope you have a good day.
Luke

Joel/ Hollie Dickens said...

Luke, thank you for all that you have done for me. Thank you for being my friend. I will pray for you. I have a great day today. How is school going? There is a playset here. I have lots of fun playing on the playset. How was your day today? Colt

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your blog. no matter where you are (far or near) when you are away from your "loved ones"...friends, family, etc. one DOES feel disconnected for awhile....it is natural ....we will pray you will SOON feel VERY at home in Nalerigu..once you get there!!!!!!
About the truck.Brought back OLD memories.USE TO,when we bought a car (maybe 30 or 40 years ago) we had to drive a car so many miles BEFORE we could take it "on the road and drive it over 50 miles per hour".....so thats a throw back but just my few weeks in Nigeria I KNOW almost everything is WAY behind what you are use to...You will find the African people are very kind and loving (the good ones) and you will NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL of the others!!!! THEY NEED JESUS!!!! I believe Africans MUST BE natural born sales people.
They will sell ANYTHING....but then they have to eat too!!!!! after a while you will enjoy the bargining you can do at the markets....glad they so have a "mall" in Accra....Mayrene said she would always buy for a month when they went to a large town from Shaki....(she still does that alot!!!! hard habit to break....:)
SO good to hear from you and we are praying everyday (often many times!!!)
Love you dearly,
bobandruth & PJ too....